Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Part III -- Waiting

I took a picture of Abby as they wheeled her out of the birthing room and down to the NICU. She had a little pink hat on.

We began the ritual of calling family and friends. I remember calling my parents and telling them simply, "7 pounds 4 ounces". They never told us her length. They were shocked. Not by the weight, but by how quickly things happened. I heard them tell AJ that his new baby sister was here. "I am happy!", he replied.

My Mom asked if everything was alright. I said yes, but that they were taking her to the NICU to make sure her lungs were OK because of the meconium. We called my in-laws, sister-in-law, work. We gave everyone the good news. I knew that the news likely wasn't all good.

And so we waited. But we weren't alone. Two nurses -- actually an RN and a student nurse -- were with us. They came in and out of the room, but they were there. They were there because they knew. They clearly knew. One of them went down to the gift shop and bought Abby a little stuffed animal. One that wouldn't leave her side for six weeks.

I tried to put it out of my mind. I knew it couldn't really by true. I tried to read, but I couldn't. I looked at the pictures I took of her. I focused on the one where she had the pink hat on. I was overreacting. Look at her. No way.

Meg talked on the phone. I paced. I looked out the window. It was overcast. I looked at the traffic on the road. At the cars pulling in and out of the hospital parking lot. I looked at the pictures again. I became more convinced.

That it was true.

To be continued.

2 comments:

oakleyses said...

vans outlet, lululemon, valentino shoes, nike air max, wedding dresses, nike roshe run, p90x workout, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, baseball bats, timberland boots, soccer shoes, instyler, mcm handbags, north face outlet, ray ban, converse outlet, iphone cases, babyliss, hermes belt, new balance shoes, mont blanc pens, lancel, louboutin, soccer jerseys, ghd hair, mac cosmetics, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, hollister, north face outlet, abercrombie and fitch, oakley, longchamp uk, vans, beats by dre, gucci, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, nike huaraches, nike air max, hollister clothing, insanity workout, nike trainers uk, nfl jerseys, converse

oakleyses said...

moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, louis vuitton, pandora charms, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, juicy couture outlet, marc jacobs, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, pandora jewelry, ugg, replica watches, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, toms shoes, karen millen uk, links of london, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, moncler, moncler uk, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg uk, coach outlet, canada goose uk, canada goose, hollister, doudoune moncler, louis vuitton, swarovski, moncler, swarovski crystal, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry